Wednesday, May 18, 2011

How I am Still on the Hook to Meet the Mother... or MacGuffin.

I don't watch a lot of TV these days. Let me qualify that-- I don't watch a lot of scripted programs nowadays. NFL and NCAA regular and postseason make me rearrange gall-bladder operations... and the NBA and MLB playoffs catch my eye until the teams I love and teams I hate are bounced. But as far as network TV, first-run programming? I'm the Nielsen nightmare.

But let the record show that when I find a program-- I'm with it usually to the bitter end. And in TV, most ends are bitter. Remember how Cheers limped through its last season to an underwhelming final episode? Couldn't leave the party early. Recall how Dallas lost its way after the killing and then dreamily resurrecting Bobby? Locked in. Or how 90210-- never Shakespeare or high drama-- was completely unwatchable for the last season and a half? Hanging out at the Peach Pit. Or how much Happy Days and The Love Boat sucked in their final seasons? On the hook for every last recycled plot-- from Ted McGinley to... Ted McGinley.

Two of my shows went off the air last spring-- one to plenty of fanfare (LOST) and the other to "we've already done everything possible in sixteen different combinations-- plus every body's been killed" (24). That left me with The Office-- which will be on Threat Level Midnight with Steve Carrell (ultimate sit-com glue guy) departing-- and How I Met Your Mother.

HIMYM's premise is Bob Saget's voiceover (no stories about Uncle Jesse playing bongos for the Beach Boys or Dave Coulier hooking up with Alanis Morrissette, unfortunately) leading his kids through the journey about how he met their mother. And it's been a long and winding road. Through meeting the girl of his dreams (I'm still on the hook for Cobie Smulders) to getting engaged (Sarah Chalke never made sense) to the latest season involving a scary captain, an imploding building, and guest spots from Ben Vereen and John Lithgow as baby-daddys turned responsible men.

The season finale leads us to think that we'll meet the mother... but it never happens. Instead we're treated to Barney (played by perfection by Neil Patrick Harris) continuing his maturing from rake to nice, sweet, sensitive guy. Remember when Steve Sanders would go "sensitive" in "very special" 90210 episodes-- from "LETS CHUG!" to "Brandon, why do all the girls like you instead of me?"-- that's the amazing growth we're seeing.

This is a big moment because although the character Ted Mosby (played by Josh Radnor) is technically the lead, Barney has long been the meal ticket for laughs-- both cheap and inspired. Over the series run, HIMYM has been a TV version of a well-drilled basketball team. Ted is the point man... running the offense through each week's premise. Marshall is the big man in the low post who provides a moral center more often than not. Barney is the small forward wildcard who can generate laughs from the inside or outside. And the girls (Robin and Lilly) screen and rebound while the guys run around like fools. I have a feeling next season will be all about Barney and his road of redemption from rake to groom. Which means more laughs, and no mother. Like that damn sled at the end of Citizen Kane, the "mother" is merely a MacGuffin-- look it up. Can't wait for September.

No comments: