Monday, August 31, 2009

Fantasy Focus-- sorry Matt and Tony...

I am the prince of darkness... the kiss of death. Each year I select randomly someone who is on the cusp of greatness and reduce their autumn to rubble. I am all four horsemen of the apocalypse put together with a side order of ten plagues. Naturally I'm talking about Fantasy Football.

Simply put, if you are an NFL quarterback, you do not want me to draft you. In 2006 I chose Trent Green and the Chiefs QB had his head scrambled in the season opener--putting me into a vicious downward spiral (Rex Grossman) as I tried to turn around my fortunes. Thankfully LaDainian Tomlinson motored me into the playoffs where I lost in the first round.

In 2007 I selected John Kitna and Brian Griese...both went on to nondescript seasons. So last year brought a new league (40 ounce league) and a new draft philosophy-- take a QB sooner rather than later. I chose Tom Brady and my rollercoaster season began again.

So although I've got Michael Turner...although I'm pleased Eddie Royal was available...and feel I made a steal with Pittsburgh's defense and special teams...I wholeheartedly apologize to Tony Romo and Matt Schaub-- quarterbacks for the Dread Pirate Roberts.

Why the Dread Pirate Roberts? My initials... plus the excuse to view every game within the context of "inconceivable" and "as you wish" plus the "Dread Pirate Roberts takes no prisoners." I won't even get into Indigo Montoya...stop the rhyming now I mean it!


This fall's football slate on Preston's Perspective will feature:

College Football Corner -- a Sunday recap of what went down with Maryland, Virginia and Virginia Tech.

Redskins Recap-- a Monday or day-after browsing of the Burgundy and Gold.

Fantasy Focus-- midweek diary of how I'm doing in my third league in four years (I am now officially the Larry Brown of Fantasy Football).

Pro-File-- look ahead at the league, NFC East and Skins.

Presto's Picks-- award snubbed prognostication column that looks at national college football issues and tries to sound funny while selecting winners of the weekend's games.

Let the games begin!

2 comments:

Matt N. said...

Giving up on the Nationals already? Still got a month to go!

Dave Preston said...

rest assured... there will be a Nats wrapup and awards edition...
once the season concludes. (By the way the club was eliminated from the NL East race Tuesday night).