Friday, March 27, 2009

"Dynamic Dozen"...Sweet Citrus and Sour Sooners...

Thank goodness CBS only re-names the field after each round...I don't think I could handle "Fabulous 48"..."Terrific 24"..."Dominant Dozen" or "Super Six"...

Top seeds UConn and Pitt plus number threes Missouri and Villanova advance... no major surprises as Memphis hadn't played anyone of note since most Christmas trees were up and Duke was capable of clunkers (see the Clemson debacle)...nice to see the Panthers break through to the regional finals after more than a few Sweet Sixteen losses this decade--and what a shot by Levance Fields...and I can't wait to see the eventual fallout from the Huskies NCAA recruiting shenanigans...

SOUTH--I originally had Oklahoma beating North Carolina in the regional finals...and while I don't think Gonzaga can beat the Tar Heels...I'm tempted to turn away from Blake Griffin and company...I'm hoping it's because Syracuse's 2-3 zone plus prime guardplay from Jonny Flynn and Eric Devendorf (not to mention quality minutes from the bigs) makes the Orange legitimate, and not because I'm an SU alum...

MIDWEST--Louisville entered the tournament as the top seed overall; Arizona was considered one of the last at-large teams to make the field. Coach "Rick Pitino has never lost a regional semifinal game--and he won't tonight. Michigan State meets Kansas in the other game... and it's clearly the least compelling of tonight's tilts despite the recent success of both programs. After the winter they've given us, it's rather tough to pick a Big Ten school...

No comments: