Thursday, June 28, 2007

Which schools pass the uniform test?

College tradition is something to behold. Unlike pro teams that seemingly change jersey colors and/or styles, most universities keep the same basic styles over the years--unless you go from cursive to block lettering or numeral font style. We're blessed in the DC metro area with sweet outfits collegiately:


BUY-- The home Georgetown home jersey is a classic-especially if it has the gray t-shirt underneath. When I walk near it during stores I nervously throw whatever I'm carrying out of bounds. If I wear it I walk like I'm a foot taller. Hoya paranoia, indeed.


BURY-- I like Maryland's football and basketball outfits, with one exception--the black. Does every school/team need to "mix it up" with the alternate black jersey? I did enjoy the Maryland gold hoop unis from the mid-80's... they'd be nice to break out once a year.


BURN-- Virginia Tech's colors are nice, especially on fall Saturdays in Blacksburg, but did we need the "opposite color on the shoulder"? Do the lefthanded players then have their left shoulder with the opposite color?


coming up tomorrow... shirts for skins...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was a fan of the Terps' football uniforms in the mid-80's under Coach Ross. Liked the red helmets with Terps on them and the jerseys with the white, gold and black stripe on the home reds and gold, red and black stripe on the away white jerseys. Would love to see them back along with the 3/4 length sleeves. Uniforms today are too busy with stipes going around the back, thick then thin, crazy numbers etc. The best uniforms are usually the classic originals like the Yankees, Canadiens, Penn State, etc.